Frequently Asked Questions
This is a short list of our most frequently asked questions. For more information about the Love2surf data SIM or if you need support, please use our Contact Us form.
What is the Love2surf data SIM?
- The Love2surf is a prepaid global 3G data travel SIM card that can give you access to the internet wherever you go, perfect for both business and leisure use. You will be able to enjoy reliable internet access without being restricted to a hotel or Wi-Fi hotspots while in the UK and abroad.
Where can I buy the Love2surf data SIM?
- The Love2surf data SIM is available from your local Bureau De Change, Airports, Train Stations and Hotels.
Can I buy Standard, Micro or Nano sized SIM cards?
- Yes the data SIM is available in all three sizes to fit any device. Please read your operator's manual if you are unsure which size you need.
What type of devices can the data SIM card be used with?
- The SIM card can be used with any device around the world to access the Internet i.e. Smartphone, iPhone, Tablet, Laptop and MiFi devices.
- Please ensure that your device is unlocked and is not tied to a network. There are no restrictions on what device it can be used in. The SIM works with all Smartphones and tablets - if inserted to a USB dongle or MiFi mobile hotspot device you can connect your laptop computer to receive data.
Can I use the SIM in a Blackberry?
- Everything will work as normal, except for using BIS (Blackberry Internet Services) which is not currently supported. However, there is a workaround - we would recommend that you use a MiFi to tether the signal to your Blackberry as you will then have full functionality.
How can I check if my phone is locked or unlocked?
- The simplest way to check this is to put a SIM card from a different provider into your phone and see if it still works. If the SIM works, your phone is not locked. If your phone is locked and you have been with your current provider for more than 1 year, this lock can be removed for free. Please contact your provider and request the code which will allow you to remove your SIM lock. Alternatively, visit a local phone shop to unlock your phone.
Do I need to activate the SIM?
- No activation is required with this SIM. Just pop the SIM into your device to start using the Internet.
Do I need to change any settings on my device?
- You may need to change the APN (Access Point Name) settings. The APN is the network or carrier option that enables you to use data on your device. In most countries no APN settings are required for this SIM. If you have any issues connecting to the Internet then try changing the APN name to fast.m2m, and leave the username and password blank. In most cases it should be as simple as going into: Mobile Network Settings > Access Point Names and manually entering fast.m2m to log onto our network. If you are unable to follow the above steps then you may need to check your device manual on how to change the APN settings. See below examples for the most popular devices:
- Apple iPhone: Settings > General > Mobile or Cellular > Mobile or Cellular Data Network > APN
- Apple iPad: Settings > Mobile or Cellular Data > APN Settings
- Android: Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names
- Blackberry OS 10: Settings > Network Connections > Mobile Networks > APN
- Windows Phone 8: Settings > Mobile Network > APN
Should data roaming be turned ON/OFF?
- In order to use the Love2surf data SIM, the data roaming feature must be turned ON in your device. If you are using the SIM card with an external router such as a MiFi to broadcast data to your Smartphone, iPad, Tablet or Laptop, we recommend that data roaming is turned OFF on your device, but left ON in the MiFi router. This is to ensure that you don't accidentally use the Internet on your device's internal SIM.
Do I need to register for an account online?
- This is optional, but we would recommend doing so. There are many benefits such as monitoring live data usage, set email alerts, load instant/auto Top Up, preload data bundles for future use, and link many SIMs under one account. It will also help you if you forget or lose your SIM ID.
How do I check my data usage?
- There is a live usage monitor in the 'My SIMs' section of this portal. We will also send email alerts to your registered email addresses. You can add registered email addresses at any time, but may not remove the master account email address.
Where can I Top Up the data SIM?
- Simply top it up here on the portal with a prepaid data bundle of your choice by selecting the zone and the size of the bundle you require. The data bundle will last for 30 days, but you are free to top it up as many times as you wish.
How can I check the latest country coverage and data bundles available?
- Click on Coverage & Bundles to view the countries covered and the data bundles available. When you select a data bundle from Zone 3 (Worldwide), you will get Internet access to over 110 destinations worldwide.
How long does the data bundles last?
- All data bundles are valid for 30 days from first use
Can I change my data bundle?
- If your data bundle has expired or all of the data allowance has been used up, you are free to buy a new bundle for any zone. If you wish to change your bundle mid-term, then please see the below question.
I want to change my Zone before my data bundle has been used /expired, what can I do?
- You are able to upgrade the remaining data allowance in your active bundle. Access the portal to view how much data you have left and the cost difference to upgrade to a new zone. Note: The expiry date will remain unchanged for this upgrade. However, you can always add a new bundle separately, which will give you the standard 30 days usage.
I am travelling to a different Zone, when should I add my new data bundle?
- We recommend that you add your new data bundle before you travel. If you want to add a new bundle after you arrive at your destination, simply access the portal using a local Internet Café.
Can I use the data SIM for calls and SMS?
- Love2surf is a data-only SIM i.e. you cannot make traditional voice calls or send texts.
How can I use voice and SMS on my device?
- You cannot make traditional voice calls or send texts. There are a range of apps available such as iOS FaceTime, Google Hangouts, Skype and Whatsapp that allow you to use voice, video and text functionality. You only need a data connection to access these services, which the Love2surf SIM provides.
Does the SIM card expire?
- You can re-use your SIM every time you travel and share it with your friends, family or colleagues. The SIM only expires if left unused for a one year period.